::scr Editors. Again.

Earle Martin scr@thegestalt.org
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:32:59 +0000

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 08:09:38AM -0800, celia romaniuk wrote:
> I have a feeling that people tend to prefer using tools that require the
> least possible disruption of their general usage patterns, simply because
> they can then spend less time thinking about how they're going to do
> something, and more time just doing it. So if people are using
> command-line environments all the time, then apps which let them stick to
> that environment will be more appealing.

One of the strong features MacOS apps - at least, well-written ones[0] - is
that almost every menu item will have its own special shortcut, allowing
power users, if there can be such a thing on a Mac, to perform software
operations by dint of keyboard only, or as close as they can get to it,
whilst everyone else can continue to Carry On Clicking (starring Sid James
as the randy web designer). Most of the basic actions will be, or should be,
the same in all programs, for example Command-O to bring up the Open File
dialog box. I think this dual quality is very desirable as it avoids the
heap-of-keystrokes learning curve problem and also avoids forcing you to
use the mouse all the time.

[0] what's that then? ;)

--
Man followeth the formula of Earth; Earth followeth that of Heaven, and
Heaven that of the Tao. The formula of the Tao is its own Nature.