::scr Editors. Again.

Chris Heathcote scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 16:49:29 +0000

celia wrote:

> You can't rely solely on this type of feature request, though. Firstly,
> there may be problems that you don't notice anymore because you habitually
> work around them, or forget to mention for whatever reason.

Individuals want strange things. Some will be quite useful, others will be
incoherent and stupid (I want to turn all the text to flames!), it's
someone's job to turn this into a coherent strategy.

Piers wrote:
> So we get a bunch of RFCs that are, to put it
> mildly somewhat incoherent.
>
> So we rely on Larry.

Indeed. I've got a great book about this kind of design - "The Inmates Are
Running The Asylum" - which basically states that computer people and
marketing people are equally inefficient at judging what's good for a
software product and users as a whole. Most usability books tend to allocate
a role of "user advocate" to ensure that everything is on track, and that
features aren't added or deleted on a whim.

c.