::scr Games as Jazz

simon wistow scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:35:19 +0000

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 09:30:41AM +0000, simon wistow said:

> A twist on the usual 'Games as Art' debate

At which point I'll wheel out my standard 'Games as Art' links.

Gamers Score at Arts Festival
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,46598,00.html

Art Form for the Digital Age
http://twist.lib.uiowa.edu/webclass/student/kapler_anne/tracingimage/index.html

The Art World starts to pay attention to Video Games
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/09/technology/circuits/09ARTT.html

Man, Woman, want to Game
http://www.rhizome.org/print.rhiz?2681

It Aint' Art
http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/JCGD_Volume_5/It_Aint_Art.html

The International Journal of Game Research
http://www.gamestudies.org/

I was briefly offered a job at this company
http://www.artworks.co.uk/

who then said they couldn't afford me before I'd even started. which sucked.

It's William Latham's company, he of Organic Art fame which creates, err,
organic art.

http://go.to/organicart/
http://www.makkos.hu/organic/img_11.html
http://www.gamestudies.org/0101/ryan/

There's also Ryan Geiss's stuff. He writes plugins for Winamp that generate
visualisations based on music.

Milkdrop looks stunning. Even better when it's moving.

http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/screenshots.html

--
: cheese, apparently, isn't scalable