::scr Blogging

Simon Batistoni scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:09:56 +0000

On 23/11/01 11:19 +0000, Earle Martin wrote:

2 separate things which reflect each other...

> It's extremely easy to create a blog. No web hosting needed, nor domain name,
> etc (although many blogs have them as well). Various innovations for
> manintaining blogs (see 2) mean the technological priesthood loses its grip
> and the masses can build their own altars to preach at.

I can see why this is attractive to a non-technical user, but I'm
finding myself more and more irritated with people who expect to be
able to sit down in front of a computer and use it without being
willing to understand *anything* about how it works. They're the
equivalent of someone who wants to drive a car, but "can't be
bothered" to learn which way round the pedals go, or why switching
into reverse gear at 70mph would be a bad thing.

> Yes. The problem with many blogs is that there's really no original content,
> which beggars the point of a system which makes it easy to present content.

And perhaps this is the most valuable function of the technological
priesthood. They're generally a surly, nitpicking lot, and they're
not very happy about publishing other people's mental diarrhea.

Greg touched on this earlier. Should the web be allowed to contain
infinite mounds of useless drivel, and we just use better tools in
better ways to cut through it to interesting information? Or does
the web need occasional bouts of aggressive quality control?

So far, google is doing the job for me in spite of drivel, and I
balk strongly at the idea of editing people off the web. Will the
web be manageable/useful forever? Prace Your Bets Prease...