::scr Blogging

alex scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:48:45 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Simon Batistoni wrote:
> I can see why this is attractive to a non-technical user, but I'm
> finding myself more and more irritated with people who expect to be
> able to sit down in front of a computer and use it without being
> willing to understand *anything* about how it works.

i don't think it's the computer that they don't understand, but the
medium/culture they're entering in to.  or is that partly what you meant?

> And perhaps this is the most valuable function of the technological
> priesthood. They're generally a surly, nitpicking lot, and they're not
> very happy about publishing other people's mental diarrhea.

i don't think that's fair.  i love reading arp's mental diarrhea.  others
hate it.  i have the choice of whether i read it or not.  the
"technological priesthood" should concentrate more on allowing people more
of that choice.

> Greg touched on this earlier. Should the web be allowed to contain
> infinite mounds of useless drivel, and we just use better tools in
> better ways to cut through it to interesting information?

yes, and calling it 'useless drivel' might be unfair.  i'm not really sure
kind of blog you're talking about at this point, though.  do you have
specifics in mind?

> So far, google is doing the job for me in spite of drivel, and I balk
> strongly at the idea of editing people off the web. Will the web be
> manageable/useful forever? Prace Your Bets Prease...

depends how you define "the web."  if you define it as interconnected bits
of information on the Internet, then i say yes.

alex