::scr Blogging

Paul Mison scr@thegestalt.org
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:07:34 +0000

On 23/11/2001 at 10:58 +0000, simon wistow wrote:

>The Daily Chump (http://pants.heddley.com/) is inexplicably (to me)
>popular -
>it just seems to be some friends posting links and then bantering
>about them.

It's personally explicable to me; they post stuff I'm interested in.
The channel they blog from is concerned with XML, and one of them uses
Debian, so I get to see interesting SVG links and new packages for the
distribution I use.

If Richard, or once of the other people I know who uses Debian, kept a
blog detailing fun new packages, I'd read that, too.

There's also a difference between the presentation of the weblog and
the backend data that the bot (chump) stores; it does record a lot more
context than scribot does (time, a name for the link as well as the URL
(optionally), and the surrounding context). The Haddock directory
(which is also bloglike, although I've been reading it for three or so
years now) also has the comment line.

How does this vary from scribot? Sure, there are less archived
discussions on the items we link to, but that's because of its reverse
chronological presentation. Most people would like some more context
(even if it's just a date and time) even if not the chat around them.

>or put it this way. Can somebody explain to me why they're so popular
>all of a
>sudden?

They're not popular all of a sudden. You've just noticed them.

--
:: paul
:: beware my prophetic chickens