::scr Ramblings of a Classic Refugee or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love OS X

Andy Wardley scr@thegestalt.org
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:42:04 +0000

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 04:08:42PM +0000, simon wistow wrote:
> That idea was also part of the same brainstorming session that came up
> with my idea of associative file systems ... the OS realises that
> whenever you open index.html that you also open picture_of_me.jpg
> picture_of_my_cat.jpg and theme_from_star_wars.mid and associates them
> together in a folder. It doesn't delete them from more conventional
> heirachical file systems but provides another tool for helping you
> organise your data. Like the LifeStreams idea. Only less crap.

On my TODO list I have:

  * implement Xanadu properly

Once I do that, I expect Lifestreams[0], property based filesystems[1],
fully multivalent[2] and multiversion[3] documents and a decent view
independant editor[4] to all drop out for free.

I expect it'll take me another decade to get it done, but expect a
prototype sooner....

[0] but not crap
[1] hierarchies are crap
[2] single views are crap
[3] single version?  who ever wrote a document and never changed it?
    - that's clearly crap
[4] we love Emacs, but it's really quite crap