::scr on agents[0] was on bots

Simon Wistow scr@thegestalt.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:01:56 +0000

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 12:24:11PM +0000, Andy Wardley said:
> > Eliza is remarkably unsophisticated.
>
> Why do you think Eliza is remarkably unsophisticated?

Unsophisticated was the wrong word probably. In concept the code is very
easy to write and very brief for the results it produces.

Natural language parsing would be sophisticated and would require the
knowledge of semantics and syntax of the natural language.

On the other hand because it produces very credible results in efficent
and beautiful which makes it more  elegant than sophisticated in my
fucked up little world.

>From WordNet :

 sophisticated
       adj 1: having or appealing to those having worldly knowledge and
              refinement and savoir faire; "sophisticated young
              socialites"; "a sophisticated audience"; "a
              sophisticated lifestyle"; "a sophisticated book" [ant:
               naive]
       2: ahead in development; complex or intricate; "advanced
          technology"; "a sophisticated electronic control system"
          [syn: advanced]
       3: marked by wide-ranging knowledge and appreciation of many
          parts of the world arising from urban life and wide
          travel; "the sophisticated manners of a true cosmopolite";
          "urbane and pliant...he was at ease even in the drawing
          rooms of Paris" [syn: urbane]
       4: intellectually appealing; "a sophisticated drama"

 elegant
       adj 1: refined and tasteful in appearance or behavior or style;
              "elegant handwriting"; "an elegant dark suit"; "she
              was elegant to her fingertips"; "small churches with
              elegant white spires"; "an elegant mathematical
              solution--simple and precise and lucid" [ant: inelegant]
       2: suggesting taste, ease, and wealth [syn: graceful, refined]
       3: of seemingly effortless beauty in form or proportion
       4: refined or imposing in manner or appearance; befitting a
          royal court; "a courtly gentleman" [syn: courtly, formal,
           stately]

definitions 1 of both of them could be interchangeable, I suppose.

Eliza does however also conform to the 2nd and 4th definitions of
sophisticared to you're right, I was wrong :)

CURSE THIS INEXACT LANGUAGE OF OURS! Shouldn't we just speak Esperanto
or something?

--
: as seen on tv