::scr saving

Chris Devers scr@thegestalt.org
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:36:10 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Simon Wistow wrote:

> [snip] we write stuff on paper we don't save.

That's one of the things I liked the most about -- and was most thrown off
by: about Palm Pilots: for the most part you never have to save anything,
and you can jump around between applications and come back to whatever the
last state of that application was before. Once I understood that it had
to do with the fact that the whole system was kept in ram it made a little
more sense, but just the simple fact that it *was* like writing on paper
made it seem like such an obvious step forward over normal computers.

But then I realized that I'm slow as hell at Graffitti, and have more or
less been putting up with plain old PCs again. This is the sort of thing I
wish we saw more of though: it's frustrating to see how much faster these
systems are getting, and yet the software is becoming so entrenched in 10
year old or older ways of doing things.

--
Chris Devers

"Okay, Gene... so, -1 x -1 should equal what?" "A South American!"
[....] "no human can understand the Timecube" and Gene responded
 without missing a beat "Yeah.  I'm not human."