::scr learning to play games

Chris Heathcote scr@thegestalt.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:46:31 +0000

on 7/3/02 10:33 am, Simon Wistow wrote:

> Games (moi? talking about games? never!) are possibly the best example
> of this ... they are ultimate 'must be easy' interface - if people don't
> immediately get into your game then it's toast in the market. At the
> same time you need to have a fair bit of security in there to stop
> pirates, online cheating, whatever.

I disagree. Games don't necessarily have an easy interface, but one with a
nicely-shaped learning curve. To get better at the game, you will eventually
have to learn more - whether it's from peers, the Internet, or even, god
forbid, the manual.

I'm thinking primarily of the Street Fighter type games, with the insane key
combinations (which I could never get into), through to adventures such as
Captain Blood, when you had to learn how to speak to other characters.

c.