::scr Internet Explorer - Danger in numbers?

Arvid Gidhagen scr@thegestalt.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:19:08 +0100 (MET)

> > This is what "man chmod" produces, and to get this far, you have to
> > know that the commands "man" and "chmod" exist and that you need
> > chmod to change your file security.
>
> Yes, and this will be noted in the handy-dandy Beginners' Guide To Unix
> that your vendor or sysadmin will supply <cough>.

Which brings closure because we're obviously back to where
I started out this morning - no matter how easy a system
is to learn or use, someone has to point out very clearly
WHY you're supposed to use it and its various features.

> Then your system is set up wrong.  That is the C library documentation.

Not my system, it's evil IDA. To be fair, man <anyothercommand>
works much better and you do get several pages of complete, useful
text - at least as good as anything in the Windows help system.
I just thought it was a nice example that there was so little
info on chmod, since the thread started out on security vs.
usability. TkMan works though.

Oh, how I love X forwarding.

Oh, how I hate that the proxy server running on my
girlfriend's computer can't handle X forwarding.

Oh, how I hate that I don't have a spare ISA network
card so I could use my old 486 as a router instead.

Oh, how I hate that I have an exam in language
technology on Saturday and that I haven't started
studying yet.

- Arvid