::scr Dressing up the computer

Snorre Milde scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:48:49 +0000

First post, hello! :-)

> Are mice really that good a way of choosing? They seem to give people RSI
> more than keyboards... why haven't touch screens become prevalent? Or light
> pens? I haven't seen a light pen since the ZX Spectrum.

If you work with the current desktop setup, your hand's travel distance from
resting position is far too great to be efficient.

Also, even if I worked with a recessed monitor, I would probably never
prefer 1:1 tracking - it is just too much muscle work. Mouse acceleration is
an absolute must for me, I prefer flick-of-a-wrist action.

> The best we seem to have done is that trackballs are slightly more available
> to consumers, but these tend to be weak-willed small versions that end up
> frustrating.

Whenever I use a trackball for some time, I get bad wrist pains because the
trackball is usually elevated, which forces my hand to work at an awkward
angle.

> In fact, why aren't there graphics tablets which display an image by now?

There are, but the reviews have not been that favorable.

    <http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm>

Granted, these tablets were positioned more as a drawing tool rather than
RSI relief.

Snorre