::scr Dressing up the computer

David Cantrell scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:32:02 +0000

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 03:29:00PM +0000, Chris Heathcote wrote:
> on 8/3/02 3:17 pm, Simon Wistow wrote:
> > However every new interface that people have tried has always been some
> > variation on WIMP - Windows, Icons, Mouse and Pointer. Even things like
> > Lifestreams or the various 3D interfaces.
> Are mice really that good a way of choosing?

No.  They require fine motor control, yet they are designed to be moved by
the large muscles of the arms, which are optimised for power, not precision.
I prefer a trackball or touch-pad, as those are designed to be operated by
the muscles of the fingers, which excel at that fine control.  Of course,
I prefer to not use a pointing device all together :-)

>                    why haven't touch screens become prevalent? Or light
> pens?

Both for the same reason - they require gorilla arms.

> The best we seem to have done is that trackballs are slightly more available
> to consumers, but these tend to be weak-willed small versions that end up
> frustrating.

I have a wonderful large trackball.  I've had it for something like five
years, and it works perfectly.  Unfortunately it's a serial device so I
can't use it on my Mac.  It also takes up a lot of space.

> What about something like the inset monitors in desks (like on BBC News),
> very nearly horizontal, but near the front, with keyboard behind it. Maybe
> use a stylus for accurate clicking.

Welcome to back and neck pain!

> In fact, why aren't there graphics tablets which display an image by now?

They're all around you.  See your nearest PalmOS device :-)

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   Perl may be the best solution for processing a text
   file, but asking a group of Perl Mongers clearly isn't
                                                  -- aef, in #london.pm