::scr IA Goldrush (was Ramblings of a Classic Refugee)

jo walsh scr@thegestalt.org
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:00:08 +0000 (GMT)

> A computer with a large dictionary and a reasonable set of syllable sounds
> can say a lot, possibly translate a lot back into text too. But give it a
> word like fluctuate which it doesn't have, and it's unlikely to intuit its
> meaning from the fact that it appears related to "flux", which is in the
> dictionary.

i've been reading some brief stuff about kohonen's work in the 80's on
speech rec and neural nets. i recall seeing parsing applications in he
same book. you could take the linguana.net extrapolation of wordnet -
proceeding slowly but faster - and get a long way with this. might even
make some fun etymological finds. would any of it be *useful* though,
espec as utility seems the buzzword du jour (spikier and more resonant
than usability?) :)

> "The UK has an ever-growing HLT scene, with researchers, developers and
> suppliers in all Language Technology areas. The number of 'spin-off'
> companies that are now established in the sector goes to show how
> technology
> transfer is working, and how a market for HLT applications is growing."

so where the fuck are they, and where do i send my cv?