::scr IA Goldrush (was Ramblings of a Classic Refugee)

Alex Robinson scr@thegestalt.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:55:45 +0000

> An obvious side effect was the broken back button, but cut & paste was
> also broken, normal right-click contextual menus were also broken. Have
> they finally gotten Flash to blend in cleanly? If not then it still
> hasn't been fixed yet -- which would be too bad, because if it
> *did* just
> Blend In, then all my objections to Flash would dissolve at a stroke.

I've no idea how cleanly blended in it is - it's not out yet so
all there is to go on is Marketing hype / Webmonkey's sneaky
peak (marketing via other means).

I wouldn't have bothered responding as I think the broken back
button is a non-issue. It's borken/confusing enough in many
browsers. What behaviour should a user expect when confronted
with frames? Plus cutting and pasting is often borken in
browsers by applying certain bits of CSS whilst Flash 5 saw the
introduction of cut and pastable text (if the author desires it)
yadder yadder enough already. The reason I am replying is to
highlight part of the puff for Watson:

"The dreaded browser back and reload buttons? We left them out
too! With most Watson plug-ins, web data auto-updates without
the pointless page re-rendering of a browser!"

See. You're coming from an oldskool antique web user /
programmer perspective (and yes, I am down with that) but that's
not what "ordinary" people want according to the research that
Watson's creators must have carried out.