::scr clue

Alex Robinson scr@thegestalt.org
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:29:17 +0000

> beyond this in Phaedrus and in Republic). Basically, froom what I
> understood, memesis was a devaluation of a philosophical concept by
> describing it in words (I'm very probably wrong. Most of my knowledge of
> this comes from the notes in other books) - Plato felt that mimesis was
> wholly without merit. As opposed to the ideal form of human interaction
> - dialectical discourse (dialektike techne [0]).

Well blagged Simon. Yes, it was something along those lines that I
recall mimesis.
Of course, Martin, probably correctly, proposes a different and more
pertinent
definition.

> which is essentially describing a virus (in the biological sense). Which
> is a remarkably good description ... the meme exists only to replicate.
> To do so it must not destroy its host (by making it so dull at parties
> that no-one will speak to it, I suppose) and must be passed via a vector
> (email, word of mouth) to another host. And the cycle begins again.

Destroying its host is neither here nor there. It just must not destroy
them so fast
that the meme/virus has nowhere to go. And as with viruses, the death of
a meme's host
can be the very act that enables its propagation. The Assassins,
Kamikaze pilots,
suicide bombers...