::scr (c)opyright

simon wistow scr@thegestalt.org
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:48:42 +0000

Reviving a long dead london.pm conversation :

Mark Fowler said something along the lines of ...

a) Should you have a right to view the work that you have paid for a
licence wherever you are, in whatever form you see fit?  Probably, yes.

b) Should you have the right to loan the work to other people (here,
borrow my book, my CD, etc?)  Probably, yes.

Piracy is nothing more than doing both of these at the same time, and
that's why it's so acceptable to some people.

I used to copy games a lot when I was young. Hell, I'm listed in some of the
scrollers for cracking some ST games [1]

I can't afford copies of Windows and Office but I need them to interact with
the rest of the world . Therefore I wouldn't feel bad about making copies thus
making Microsoft a victim of its own monopoly. Am I wrong?

I can't afford any more CDs than I currently buy - single sales are apparently
down but album sales are up. One is caused by MP3s one isn't according to the
RIAA. I tend to listen to MP3s now and then go out and buy the album and I was
never a real single buyer. Does that make me wrong?

Judge me.

Simon
[
 who has 6 other ::scr posts queued but is
 waiting to see if anybody else will post
]

[0] look for "The Man from Unkewl" or "Lethal" [1]
[1] Sad, yes. But I was young and I needed the warez.

--
:  everything after here is irrelevant