::scr air keyboard

matt jones scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:33:39 -0800 (PST)

At 15:18 16/11/01 +0000, simon wistow wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 07:08:48AM -0800, matt jones said:
> > I always used to daydream about (hem) an exoskeleton that was
> > linked to a portable sampler or synth and which would play different
> > sounds depending on how you moved.
>
> Wasn't there a child's toy like this around the early 90's - rap attck
> or rap mania or something. You strapped it to your body and as you moved
> samples came out. It was little more than a electronic one man band but
> it's sort of similar to what you're talking about.

Nnnnnnn ... well, sorta, but I was thinking less of a toy than a tool
and/or instrument. A full lightweight exoskeleton[0] that tracked all your
movements and was fully programmable so that you could play an almost
infinite array of sounds or tomes or voices, not just through simple
movements like walking, but perhaps special combo moves. Heh, I suppose
it could be the next evolutionary step for bemani games. :) But anyway,
something a bit more complex than a thing whioch plays a limited sample
set when you shake it about.

Yes, I know it sound complex, but it's an imaginary device, okay? I wonder
what our resident musos think of the idea?

> > What other applications (*outside* of conventioanl computing tasks) of
> > wireless networking / wearable devices / motion capture do you like
> > the idea of. Points awarded for comical and/or socially-worthy ones.

> Doctors and actors obviously. Hazardous waste removal.

Possibly, but surely that's more a remote access problem with no
requirements for the controls to be wearable or mobile. And aren't both
those problems already solved (in terms of performing those tasks
remotely)?

> Some sort of elaborate mime? :)

Now, I like that idea, a reverse, coercive mime suit!. Sort of like that
chap's punitive exoskeleton in "The Player of Games". If you really hated
someone you could have them walking into "invisible" walls or suddenly
unable to move their suitcase.

I'm not really a very nice person, actually, am I? :)

--
mjx
[0] Although you could perhaps do it more comfortably/reliable with