::scr Drooling GUI

Clifton Evans scr@thegestalt.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:23:01 +0000

> From: celia romaniuk <space@shadowgirl.net>
> Not only that, but people's activities vary as well. For example, today I
> have open communication apps (IRC, mail), a web browser, and a word
> processor. All pretty standard ("universal" internet user role). But if I
> had Project, I'd need that open too (so that's a project manager role).
> Later I'll need Illustrator (designer role). Then I might open a text
> editor (developer role).

It's interesting that people have such varied interests at the same time. I
completely agree with you that people are happiest in loosely defined
boundaries. And that is why I think we need a move to more personable
systems.. Or at least applications.

The desktop metaphor is fine. So is the command line. Heck, the palm is more
like a calculator metaphor than anything else and it works great. In fact,
it has no 'folders' or 'files'. Yet, it still let's you switch between all
of your different roles.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but perhaps that's why the palm is so
successful, it has no overriding metaphor. The applications make their own
metaphors.

Hmm...

C..