::scr Drooling GUI

David Cantrell scr@thegestalt.org
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:26:02 +0000

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 11:36:21AM +0000, Clifton Evans wrote:

> But the desktop metaphor is dead and bloated.

Yes, we hatesssss it, we doesssss.

> Or at least too specific for most people. Or all people. Artists would
> prefer a studio metaphor. Gamers an arcade metaphor. Chefs a kitchen
> metaphor. And so on.

Bleh.  It doesn't even do a good impression of a desktop.  And none of those
would do a good impression of a studio, an arcade or a kitchen.  This
insistence on a metaphor may have been useful once-upon-a-time, but it isn't
now.  What I use my desktop for is nothing like what I use my computer for.
The same applies to my thoroughly non-techie relatives.

How about treating it like a computer, not like some fucked up attempt at
being something else.

> Making everyone compute on the terms of 'Office Work' has got to stop. At
> least if we want it to get any better.

The "desktop" isn't even a useful metaphor for those poor souls.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

      Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups
                                            -- anon