::scr learning to play games

Arvid Gidhagen scr@thegestalt.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:49:29 +0100

I don't know if games are all they're cracked up to be when it comes
to intuitive interfaces. If you know about the special moves in SF2,
you are hardly a novice gameplayer, and there's a lot of transfer
between different games. People who are completely new to games (or
even new to newer games) will have problems even with "Super Mario 64",
which is widely cited as an excellent example of how to teach people
something tricky while they're having fun.

> give me Vib Ribbon or Parappa the Rapper anyday over
> Street Fighter XXI.

I've noticed that there actually is a current trend against bloated,
over-complex games, which I can only applause enthusiastically.
The only problem is that people who buy games don't seem to be in
on it, it's just oldtimers and exhausted game journalists yet.
But we can hope.

- Arvid