::scr Dressing up the computer

Simon Wistow scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:17:30 +0000

New thread started. That ones drifted a fair bit away from the original.
                                                               - ed

> > Again, why try to dress the computer up as something it isn't?
>
> what did you have in mind? command lines or still something else? if you
> could wipe out history and re-design an interface from scratch (resp.
> "dress up the computer as something it *is*"), what would you do?

Well, I think every one pretty much knows what I'd say *cough* document
centric *cough* and as for organising stuff I'd like something similar
to BeOS's live queries which allowed you to group stuff togther by meta
data (say, have a folder with all the files created by user 'simon').

However every new interface that people have tried has always been some
variation on WIMP - Windows, Icons, Mouse and Pointer. Even things like
Lifestreams or the various 3D interfaces.

Personally I can't think beyond that but then I'm hungover.

Simon

--
: fast, cheap and out of control