::scr Dressing up the computer

Chris Heathcote scr@thegestalt.org
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:29:00 +0000

on 8/3/02 3:17 pm, Simon Wistow wrote:

> However every new interface that people have tried has always been some
> variation on WIMP - Windows, Icons, Mouse and Pointer. Even things like
> Lifestreams or the various 3D interfaces.

Are mice really that good a way of choosing? They seem to give people RSI
more than keyboards... why haven't touch screens become prevalent? Or light
pens? I haven't seen a light pen since the ZX Spectrum. There always seems
to be a lot of academic research into alternative input devices, but these
appear to have gone nowhere.

The best we seem to have done is that trackballs are slightly more available
to consumers, but these tend to be weak-willed small versions that end up
frustrating.

What about something like the inset monitors in desks (like on BBC News),
very nearly horizontal, but near the front, with keyboard behind it. Maybe
use a stylus for accurate clicking.

In fact, why aren't there graphics tablets which display an image by now?

c.