::scr IA Goldrush (was Ramblings of a Classic Refugee)

Paul Sharpe scr@thegestalt.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:57:56 +0000

Simon Batistoni wrote:

> On 12/03/02 09:12 +0000, Paul Sharpe wrote:
> > I think IUMA were already doing this in 1995.
>
> Ah, IUMA, home of possibly the most twisted and brilliant dot com publicity
> scam ever contrived. Just googling and reading about it takes me back to
> those heady days of VC cash and endless Wired articles about how many
> Learjets a self-respecting millionaire should own.
>
> For those who don't remember, IUMA launched a contest where they'd give a
> couple either $5000, or a lifetime's supply of IUMA music (bet some people
> feel silly now) for naming their baby after the site. That is, I would have
> had to officially name a child of mine Internet Underground Music Archive
> Batistoni to win the prize.

Yeah but before the war they were just a nice bunch of punks who loved
music and open standards

http://web.archive.org/web/19961022175551/www.iuma.com/IUMA-2.0/home.html

Cheers,

paul

--
Paul Sharpe                   Tel: +44 (20) 7407 5557
Miraclefish Ltd.              Fax: +44 (20) 7378 8711