::scr IA Goldrush (was Ramblings of a Classic Refugee)

Simon Batistoni scr@thegestalt.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:15:15 +0000

On 12/03/02 11:34 +0000, Simon Batistoni wrote:
> [will there be an IA goldrush?]
>
> Do those more involved in IA than I think this is the case? And if so, where
> is the goldrush money going to go?

In a fit of interesting synchronicity, I just saw this:

http://www.itri.bton.ac.uk/projects/euromap/developers.html

which is attempting to be a central point of discussion, and source of
resources for people involved in Human Language Technology (HLT), both
making machines talk, and making them understand speech.

As the introductory spiel says:

"The UK has an ever-growing HLT scene, with researchers, developers and
suppliers in all Language Technology areas. The number of 'spin-off'
companies that are now established in the sector goes to show how technology
transfer is working, and how a market for HLT applications is growing."

So here's one candidate for the money, assuming that those predicting the
growth of IA are thinking outside of simply "making my shiny website usable".

I am using "IA" pretty loosely here - sorry if I'm basically wrong. I'm
probably talking more about things which are HCI-related, but it all seems
like one big puddle from where I'm standing.

This site is actually fascinating, quite aside from its potential relevance
to this thread.

--
"In marketing the word 'free' means the cost is concealed.|   christopher
Nothing is ever free. There is always a price to pay, in  |          ross