::scr IA Goldrush (was Ramblings of a Classic Refugee)

Chris Heathcote scr@thegestalt.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:31:40 +0000

on 12/3/02 11:34 am, Simon Batistoni wrote:

> Do those more involved in IA than I think this is the case? And if so, where
> is the goldrush money going to go?

There is money, quite a lot of money in some cases, especially as several
sectors are reaching the point where the mass market is buying - and
replacing - software and devices.

> People consulting on IA for firms like Microsoft, or selling IA
> innovations to them?

There will be lots of shysters selling usability as an add on, which won't
work, and will get usability a bad rap.

> People developing niche OSes and interface devices for embedded
> applications, and increasingly portable computers?

Yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Not that I've just been for a j*b
int*rv*ew and I'm all excited. Mustn't get excited. No.

I would recommend The Invisible Computer by Donald Norman, even though I
think his idea for a separate device for each task to be a bit, well,
limiting.

> I think we're in for more
> scutters/anglepoise lamps, white plastic and tellitubbies eyecandy from
> Apple.[2]

Bah. Don't get me started.
Blo*dy-short-mouse-lead-only-plugs-in-the-left-hand-side-of-the-iBook-call-t
hemselves-designers.....

c.